Above two image of pashupatinath (dress open and other one is shrinagar(dressup)time.Pleasse note that inside pashupatinath temple we are not allowed to take main deity (lord) photo , so above two image are not main Shivalinga image of lord pashupatinath.
About Pashupatinath Temple,Nepal
- Pashupatinath temple is oldest and biggest temple of NEPAL Dedicated to Pashupatinath (Lord Shiva). The temple is situated in Bank of sacred bagmati river. River originates from Bagdwar. Pashupatinath temple is situated in Kathmandu , Nepal (Capital city of Nepal). The temple is pagoda style with three storey building. Three storey building is made up of gold roof along with various wooden art and architecture of various god and goddess. At very top of temple there is Gold trishul(trident),Damaru and Gajur(crown).The very big bull (vehicle of shiva) is situated in front of west face. The pashupatinath temple have four entrance gate. All four entrance is made of silver. Inside templemll premises there are many God/Goddess (Protector of shiva). As well as outside temple also there are many temples dedicated to different god/goddess who have directly and indirectly relationship to lord pashupatinath. The puja at temple is carried out regularly even in critical condition in nepal. Nepalese people believe pashupatinath as national deity of nepal. And temple is also most visited temple,most donation collector temple,most famous temple. Pashupatinath temple is also giving employment to more/less than 350 people in various field and areas. Pashupatinath Temple is believed to be built by king Mandev. The ancient lichavi king of nepal who was big shiva bhakta.
About Main Deity
The main deity of Pashupatinath temple is Lord Pashupatinath (Shiva or Mahadev). The Lord Pashupatinath stays here as Jyotirlingam (Shivalingam). This shivalingam is not made by any human or God/Goddess and appeared itself from Land so Pashupatinath is also known as Bhulinga (Meaning,the self appeared lord in earth). There are total Five face of lord pashupatinath. Four face are turning in north,east,west and south Respectively. And fifth face of lord pashupatinath is situated at Roof or Top of all face (In Nepali we Say “Talu”). Fifth face is invisible but considered so it is known as “nirakar”. At Fifth face Shakti puja is also carried by priest everyday by making Shriyantra on it. Details of all faces of lord pashupatinath is listed below.
Five faces of Lord Pashupatinath Details.
1) West Face – The west face of Lord Pashupatinath is known as Saddojat(सद्दोजत). This face is known as children form of shiva. He looks like innocent like child. This face is also known as wakeful form of shiva. This face is also known as worldly form so it is worrisome.
2) East face- The East face of lord pashupatinath is known as Tatpurush (तत्पुरुष). In this face shiva is visible with jatta (hair in forehead),he wear rudraksha mala in neck. This face is also known as Kuber form.
3)North face – The north face of lord Pashupatinath is known as Bamdev(बामदेव). This face is also known as half shiva and half parvati. At shiva side there is chandra(moon) in his hair and shiva carry kamandalu(vessel) in hand. And at parvati mata side. Parvati mata is chanting with rudraksha mala in hand. This face is also known as Ardhanarishwor(half shiva and half parvati). This face is also known as devastation form so this face is also known as Creatior of universe . This face is symbol of Lord Moon (Chandra devta).
4) South Face – The south face of Lord pashupatinath is known as Aghor (अघोर). This face is also known as peaceful form of shiva. This face is also known as Fearful form of shiva. This face is both peaceful and fearful form of shiva. In left ear there is snake ring and at right ear ear there is other rings. This face is also known as Sun,so this face is very bright comparing to all faces. This face is able to destroy evil and demons.
5) Ishan Face – The fifth face of lord pashupatinath is known as Ishan (इशान). This face is main roof of all four faces. So this face is known as Shiv shakti. The priest of temple also do shakti puja everday by making shriyanta on it. This face is also nirakar form (without any form). This face is able to provide moksha,knowledge to universe.
- There are total four entrance gate of Pashupatinath. But all Devotees visit temple from main entrance Gate (West gate), Priest of temple visit through south entrance gate. Rest entrance gate are not opened for public now.
At main entrance Gate (West gate), There is big Door where it is Written Pashupatinath Mandir in (Nepali/Hindi :पशुपतिनाथ मन्दिर ). At Left of entrance door Ganesh Ji along with Chandra devta and Lion is situated where as at right Kumar Kartikeya Along with Surya and lion is Situated. So there are total two lion door keeper. Lion is vehicle of Parvati. It is believed that where there is shiva there is parvati. So lion is also Door guard of Pashupatinath temple. At very top of Entrance gate. There is shiva standing along with damaru,trisul and blessing from hand. After entering temple very big Nandi is situated who is looking west face of pashupatinath. In Front of big Nandi there is small bhringi looking towards west face of Pashupatinath.
Story of Origin of Pashupatinath Shivalinga.
- There are two story relating to Pashupatinath shivalinga. It is believed that the present location of PASHUPATINATH TEMPLE AREA was Big farm. Sorrounding area was Jungle. There were many cows in this areas. So it was also Gaushala. Everyday “One cow” used to offer milk in land. This cow name is Kamdhenu. The cow owner and villagers dig inside the land. They found the big jyoti(light) of shivalinga. villagers could not handle the light of jyotirlinga. And all villagers burn in ash. And all villagers attain kailash loka.
The lord vishnu came here. And hide the jyoti of shivalinga. Many god/goddess come here to worship pashupatinath. Pashupatinath shivling is also known as Bhulinga (self appeared god). Bhu meaning earth. And linga meaning symbol of shiva. Shiva appeared here with his mercy in earth.
Another story relating to pashupatinath, is that, When all earth was full of water. Lord vishnu was sleeping inside ocean of water relaxely. From the mercy of lord vishnu. Brahma was born from navel of vishnu. Lord maha vishnu and brahma dev start fighting together. Vishnu start saying i am bigger and . And brahma start saying i am bigger. At same time, The big light(jyoti) of shivalinga appeared. And Lord Mahadev Speak invisible in linga form that “Hey vishnu, hey brahma”. Why you are fighting each other. If you find the start and last point of this light. They will be winner. Lord vishnu go inside land and brahma go at sky. Both could not find. Lord vishnu agree that lord shiva is greatest among vishnu.And agree that he could not find it. And pray to lord mahadev (bholebaba) to give his darshan. Lord mahadev gives his darshan as jyotirlingam and stay in earth as Pashupatinath. It is believed that lord pashupatinath is creator,preserver,and destroyer of universe. And about brahma dev. Brahma dev could not find start and end of light. And he tell lie that he found it. And shiva curse brahma that he will not be worship in earth. And vishnu will be worship by all world.
Meaning of word Lord Pashupatinath – Pashupatinath meaning is Pashu + Pati + Nath. Sanskrit word Pashu means Animal. Pati means Protector. Nath means God. Here animals means all human beings,animals,insect and all creations.
Puja at Pashupatinath
- Pashupatinath gate open at 4 am morning and all temple is closed at 7 30 pm evening when arati is complete. At morning, 4 am west gate is only opened. Whereas all four gates is opened at morning 9 30 am. And all four gate is closed at day 2 pm. And again west gate is opened for public at 4 30. And All four gate is opened at 7 during arati. Within this interval time between morning to evening time. There will be various kinds of puja, bhoga,arati,jal abhisheck etc varity types of puja and worship to lord. Inside temple, there are four priest. Among this one is main priest and other are sub pujari.
For the public,Devotees can also do puja with their heart by purchasing tickets. The lowest puja start from 1100 Rs (Panchamrit abhishekam) to above like 2100 Rs,5100 Rs,11000 (Laghu rudri),Rs,21000 RS to above till 25 lakh. More than 25 lakh Rs ouja can also be done with heart.
Different Temples at Pashupatinath Area.
1) Basuki Nag Temple – Temple is Dedicated to Basuki nag. It is believed that he is protector of pashupatinath. So before worship of pashupatiath. Basuki nag raj devta must be worshipped.
2) Kirti mukh bhairav temple
3) unmatta bhairav temple
4) Krishna temple
5) Pingala temple
6) Guheshwori temple (Shakti peetham)
7) Gorakhnath temple
8) Vishwarupa temple
9) Manakamana temple
10 Ram mandir
11) Hanuman ji
12) Sapta matrikas
13) Asta chiranjibi
14) Satya narayana
15) Dakshinkali,kal bhairav,Ananta,Ganesh ji,Kartikeya ji
17) Annapurna, Gaurighat, kirateshwor mahadev,uma kund.
18) There are incountables temple in pashupatinath area. Etc.
Some Information inside temple
1) According to temple rules, Inside temple,taking camera or taking photograph is strictly prohibited.
2) Leather belt,leather jacket is also prohibited.
3) Inside temple,talking on mobile phone is prohibited.
4) Beware of pick pocketers. And donot wear more oranments in crowds as well.
5) Carry your bag careful.Inside temple there are many monkeys.
Festival in PASHUPATINATH TEMPLE AREA.
1) Shiva ratri – Shivaratri is famous festival in Nepal dedicated to lord shiva. It is also known as birth day of lord shiva. In Nepal,it is public holiday. In Pashupatinath temple,Million of Nepalese,Indian,Hindus visit to pray to lord pashupatinath. There are also many sadhus,naga baba from different place arrive here before week and stay here by burning wood (dhuni). Hundred of health post,volunters, Free prasadam,milk,food is Served within temple area. This time Shivaratri is celebrated in MARCH 7 ,2015. Many nepalese tv channel broadcast live from morning to night from Pashupati Area.
2) Teej – Teej is Famous festival observed in pashupatinath area in month of Bhadra(sep-oct). It is Celebrated mostly by womens for long life of husband and family . There are many volunters who work for devotees. Women take fasting on this day.
3) Balchaturdashi – It is the day,observed by nepalese in pashupatinath area to pay homeage to death parents. Thousand of people gathered at temple by lighting diya (oil lamp) whole night. And next morning they do parikrama of pashupatinath.
4) Shravan month and monday – Pashupatinath is crowded within whole shravan month.Mostly temples is crowded in shravan monday. Nepalese women take fasting on this day. And worship shiva.
Others Locals Festivals
1) Basaleshwori jatra – Ratha yatra dedicated to Mother basala (parvati) observed in pashupatinath area.
2) Naxal bhagwati jatra - Ratha yatra dedicated to Mother Naxal bhagwati ma observed in pashupatinath area. Ratha yatra start from naxal who visit pashupatinath and end at naxal. It is believed that naxal bhagwati is sister in law of shiva.
3) Pingala mai jatra - Ratha yatra dedicated to Mother Pingala observed in pashupatinath area.
4) Others,Festival are indra jatra,krishna jatra.
Pashupatinath Temple, with its astonishing architectural beauty, stands as a symbol of faith, religion, culture and tradition. Regarded as the most sacred temple of Hindu Lord Shiva in the world, Pashupatinath Temple’s existence dates back to 400 A.D. The richly-ornamented pagoda houses the sacred linga or phallic symbol of Lord Shiva. Thousands of pilgrims from all over the world come to pay homage to this temple, that is also known as ‘The Temple of Living Beings’.
Location 5 km north-east of Kathmandu Category UNESCO listed World Cultural Heritage Site Era Prior to 400 A.D Unique Features » Only four priests, from ancient period, can touch the idol of Lord Shiva.
» The priests are always from south India.
» It is believed that this tradition have been started by Sage Shankaracharaya in 6th century.
What to See
» Gold-painted images of guardian deities
» Chaturmukha (four-faced statue)
» Chadeshvar, an inscribed Licchavi linga from the 7th century
» Brahma Temple
» Dharmashila, a stone where sacred oaths are taken
» Arya Ghat
» Gauri Ghat (holy bath)
» Pandra Shivalaya (15 shrines)
» Gorakhnath and Vishwarup Temples
» Guhyeshwari (Guhjeshwari) Temple
» Kirateshwar Mahadeva Mandir and Surya Ghat
» The two level roofs of the temple are embellished with gold and the four main doors are adorned with silver.
» The temple is famous for its awe-inspiring and astounding pagoda architecture.
» The western door has a statue of a large Bull, Nandi, is ornamented in gold. This black stone idol, about 6 ft in height and circumference, adds to the beauty and charisma of the temple.
» The present architectural nature of Pashupatinath temple came into existence as a result of renovation by Queen Gangadevi during the reign of Shivasimha Malla (1578-1620 AD).
There are many legends describing as to how the temple of Lord Pashupatinath came to existence here. Some of them are narrated below:-
The Cow Legend
Legend says that Lord Shiva once took the form of an antelope and sported unkown in the forest on Bagmati river’s east bank. The gods later caught up with him, and grabbing him by the horn, forced him to resume his divine form. The broken horn was worshipped as a linga but overtime it was buried and lost. Centuries later an astonished herdsmen found one of his cows showering the earth with milk. Digging deep at the site, he discovered the divine linga of Pashupatinath.
The Linchchhavi Legend
According to Gopalraj Vamsavali, the oldest ever chronicle in Nepal, this temple was built by Supus Padeva, a Linchchhavi King, who according to the stone inscription erected by Jayadeva 11 in the courtyard of Pashupatinath in 753 AD, happened to be the ruler 39 generations before Manadeva (464-505 AD).
The Devalaya Legend
Another chronicle states that Pashupatinath Temple was in the form of Linga shaped Devalaya before Supus Padeva constructed a five storey temple of Pashupatinath in this place. As the time passed, the need for reparing and renovating this temple arose. It is learnt that this temple was reconsturcted by a mediaeval King named Shivadeva (1099-1126 AD). It was renovated by Ananta Malla adding a roof to it.
» Pashupati area is regarded as one of the most important places of pilgrimages for the followers of Hinduism. Thousands of devotees from within and outside the country come to pay homage to Pashupatinath every day. And on special occasions like Ekadasi, Sankranti, Mahashivratri, Teej Akshaya, Rakshabandhan, Grahana (eclipse), Poornima (Full moon day) the whole atmosphere turns festive and mirthful as people congregate here in a far greater number.
» During the Shivaratri (also spelled Shivratri) festival Pashupatinath temple is lit with ghee lamps throughout the night and the temple remains open all night. Thousands of devotees take ritual baths in the Bagmati river on the day of the festival and observe a fast for the whole day. Hundreds of sadhus (sages) from different parts of Nepal and India come here on the occasion of Maha Shivaratri.
Auspicious Days to Visit
In August, during the Teej festival, thousands of women visit the temple to bathe in the holy waters of the Bagmati River. Because this ritual is meant to bring a long and happy marriage, vmany women dress in red saris, which are traditionally worn for wedding ceremonies. Full moon and New moon days are also considered auspicious to visit the temple.
Good to know
According to a legend recorded in local texts, especially the Nepalamahatmya and the Himavatkhanda, the Hindu Lord Shiva once fled from the other gods in to Mrigasthali near temple of pashupatiath, the forest on the opposite bank of the Bagmati River . There, in the form of a gazelle, he slept with his consort Parvati. When the gods discovered him there and tried to bring him back to Kailash, he leapt across the river to the opposite bank, where one of his horns broke into four pieces. After this, Shiva became manifest as Pashupati (Lord of Animals) in a four-face (chaturmukha) linga and said to serve universe residing here.